I recently got my hands on the WASPcam™ 9907 4K action cam and I was excited to test it out as I’ve had pretty minimal experiences with different video cameras. At the end of the day, I’m looking for a high quality action cam that I can bring with me on my travels, stand the beatings of the adventures I go on, and can be versatile to all conditions. This is my refreshing take from a traveller’s perspective on a camera that you may not have necessarily considered for capturing your epic adventures.
The Features of WASPCam
The WASPcam™ 9907 4K is their top-end model and with that is packed with features that makes it quite competitive in the market.
- Waterproof without a Case Down to 98 Feet (30 Meters)
- Records HD Video up to 4K/24fps
- Up to 20MP Photo Quality
- Built-in Wi-Fi Connects Camera to WASPcam App
- 1.5″ LCD Screen
- NEW Video Time-lapse Feature
- Mini Side Bracket for Optional Accessories and Unique Mounting Angles
- Comes with accessories
- Tall J-Hook Buckle
- Flat Adhesive Mount
- Curved Adhesive Mount
- Straight Joint Mount
- Short Basic Buckle
- Mini Side Bracket
Field Test in New York City
It’s one thing to play around with it at home and another to use it while travelling. The big test for me was how the action cam performed on the road. On my latest trip to the Big Apple, I used the WASPCam to film a short piece on my visit to the Urbanspace at Vanderbilt near Grand Central. I didn’t do anything extremely elaborate with this shoot. I wanted to mount it on my GoPole stick and do several quick cuts with this urban eatery and me chowing down on Roberta’s Bee Sting pizza and Red Hook Lobster’s lobster roll. Just watch to see how the WASPCam performed!
What I Liked
There are a lot of reasons why you should consider the WASPCam and to me, here’s what really stood out for me.
- No case – That means no more finicking with the case to open and close to get to the battery. There’s no additional case that you have to worry about since it’s one unit. The added benefit that comes with this is that there’s almost no way that dust/dirt can get in front of the lens. You can’t accidentally scratch it from the inner side as well.
- Compatible mounts – The “universal” mounts work with the WASPCam which I was very happy with. That meant I could use it with all the other gear I’ve invested in. That means you can easily mount this on a drone too if you wanted to.
- Wifi – Pretty much mandatory for action cams these days especially if you’re doing any sort of vehicle mounting. There’s an accompanying app where you can control the WASPCam and it gets the job done.
- Super rugged – This thing is built like a tank and can definitely take a bit of a beating.
- Good battery life – I must’ve had the camera on for a good 2 hours, recording on and off at Urbanspace and it barely made a dent into battery life.
- Additional mount point – Most cameras only have one mount point at the bottom but the WASPCam 9907 actually has an additional one on the side. Now that doesn’t mean you’ll be wanting to take vertical videos but it gives you some flexibility on mount points and angles.
- Bang for buck – Cost conscious travellers will appreciate this as this 4K camera is a fraction of the cost of competitors.
What Could Be Improved
There are certainly things that could be
- Top clip is tough to open – I’ve had to open the camera a number of times to get to the battery or memory card and I have to say that every time, the top clip has been very challenging to maneuver. You have to use your nail to almost switch the top part over while at the same time flipping the top up.
- Memory not easily accessible – This makes sense from a design perspective since the unit is designed to be waterproof but I am definitely going to miss being able to quickly pop in and out the microSD card. That being said, I guess you couldn’t do that with other cams either because you always had to deal with a plastic case.
- Moisture absorber – Now this is something I haven’t been able to test yet but the cap that screws over the microUSB port comes with a Tylenol-sized pill. The question I have is how long that will last in terms of absorbing moisture and whether you have to change it every time you go snorkelling.
- Low-light performance – You’ll notice in the Urbanspace video that the images become soft in low light conditions.
The WASPcam™ 9907 4K action cam has a lot going for it. From 4K to being completely waterproof, a lot of these features can’t be beat. If you’re in the market for a video camera to take with you while travelling and want to save money while getting all the features you’d ever need, the $329.95 this costs is very reasonable.