5 countries, 10 cities and 32 days.
Blog for leg one is finally done. Now I can rest and start to look forward to leg two that’s about to start in two weeks.
Arriving in Shanghai was almost a relief after 32 days on the road. Finally I get to unpack and spread out at my grandparents place for an extended period of time and really get to know a city well.
You’ll be thankful that I won’t be writing a daily blog here in Shanghai (haha don’t lie…you guys are sick of it) but if I have time I’ll write about a few things here and there before I head out again.
Till then take care and enjoy your summer wherever you are!
One thing I’ll say about this day was that I was upset and impressed with China Eastern Airlines. For one I got dinged 470 HKD for excess weighted luggage. I misread the China Eastern luggage allowance site because they make no mention of the number of pieces you have so I assumed that it was 20KG for each bag you bring. Of course I realized after that this was idiotic and what they really meant was that the total for any number of bags you bring can’t exceed 20KG. No matter though because there wasn’t much I could’ve done about that other than to have perhaps bought a Star Alliance airline flight ticket instead of flying China Eastern. I was however impressed with the fact that I got Haagen-Dazs as dessert on my 2 hour flight. That’s how huge Haagen-Dazs is out here in China. All is forgiven!
- I’m sure I wrote about this before last time but a key part of travelling logistics if you have multiple sets of bags is to utilize the hotels you’re staying at to store luggage so you don’t have to carry it around to wherever you’re travelling to like I did. This of course only works if you’re returning back to the city where you’re dropping it off but this has saved me on multiple occasions including last year when I was in the London for work and I spent 2 weeks backpacking afterwards.
- I’ll have many more Shanghai tips for you guys later on…so stay tuned…
- Take the subway to Central
- Walk to the Conrad to pick up my big suitcase
- Cab to Hong Kong Express
- Flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong with China Eastern (12:35PM – 2:45PM)
- Get home by 4:30PM
Check out the Next Day
Just like that the first part of the trip is over and I spend 30 days in Shanghai to learn Mandarin and spend time with my grandparents. Check it out: Day 33 to 63 – Shanghai – The Strange and the Fun.
Curious what else I did on my trip to Asia? See the full itinerary and all 89 days.