If you’re headed to Iceland and looking for useful apps to download before you fly, I’m proud to announce the Going Awesome Places’s travel guide app that’s now available for purchase on the iTunes App Store. The Iceland Road Trip with Map app is packed with features that includes the ability to use maps offline with GPS, a full day by day breakdown inspired by the ultimate 8 day itinerary, must-know travel tips, shortcut links to resources, and phrase book. Sufficed to say, this is a comprehensive iOS app that you’ll want to keep handy when you hit the road.
The App I Wish I Had
For my trip to Iceland, I did a lot of planning ahead of time and had everything laid out in a Google Sheet which I made available offline on the Sheets app. I then combined this with the Google Maps offline feature and starred locations in advance while we had wifi for navigation.
Problem was…if I forgot to star a location the night before or if I didn’t write down the GPS coordinates beforehand and you couldn’t search it on the GPS unit, we were essentially lost.
The other hard part about planning is with 8 days to work with, at first I didn’t know how to organize the days. Should I go west? Should I start south? How many days should I stay in Reykjavik? Those questions weren’t really clear until after thorough planning and fleshing out of all the details.
There were times when I just wish someone would tell me the way to plan a kick-ass trip.
At the end of the day, not being able to rely on having data was what made things a challenge because you just couldn’t try to figure things out on the fly. What I really needed was an app that could guide me through the road trip.
Having put together everything I learned from my trip in the ultimate guide, that was the starting point, and then I layered on even more content to make it an app that anyone could take with them on their trip.
So whether you’re like me and you want to have that companion app that can help you navigate to all the spots you want to visit, or if you’re someone that is trying to plan your trip to Iceland last minute or have literally just landed and need help, this is an app for you.
This app was built in partnership with Remote and is packed with useful features.
- Available on iOS and Android
- Incredibly valuable and secret tips on how to prepare for your trip and things you need to know that others don’t tell you about.
- Offline capable map with pins on all locations. To use the maps offline, you have to make sure you load the map areas beforehand. All the locations are already pinned and the GPS point will follow along.
- Sample 8 day itinerary with day-by-day breakout of activities, sights, restaurants, accommodation and map.
- Personal first-hand experience from yours truly for real-life insight.
- Background information that you can use to learn more about the places you visit.
- Quick links for booking anything from tours, car rentals, hotels, hostels, and Airbnb.
- Easy to access links for weather, exchange rates, road conditions, and northern lights tracker.
- Make notes within the app to capture your diary or as a place for additional trip planning.
- Phrasebook with useful Icelandic phrases.
- Ability to chat with other fellow travellers.