Wednesday January 23, 2013
I debated about whether to write a blog for my trip to Utah this year. I ended up doing it to maybe provide some insight on why I’ve been doing this for 3 years straight.
The Long Journey to Salt Lake City
All I can say is that today was a super long day to get down to Salt Lake City.
-19C morning drive to Buffalo luckily went alright though I was worried I’d have to battle through the snow. Roads were clear for the most part. Nexus got me through quick though there really wasn’t a line at the Lewiston crossing. I parked at the Long Term B lot and that was only Part 1 of my commute. What did freak me out as I was driving down was my Sony GPS was originally telling me I’d make it to the airport at 8:04AM when bytes calculations it should’ve been 7:40AM. But of course as I was driving the time was continuously being shaven. Stupid conservative GPS ETAs. It was fast and furious for awhile for me.
Part 2 with Southwest worked out pretty well. This was my first experience with them and for $192 RT I can’t complain a all. The boarding is based on an assigned number you get when you check in online and then it’s free for all on the plane. What I didn’t realize was that you actually had to line up according to your number. So the B31-60 group wasn’t just a free for all line for people that had numbers in that range but you actually had to line up in the proper order. Okay I’m not used to that as an Air Canada flier!
Anyways on the plane it was orderly and of course everyone was gunning for either aisle or window. I went almost all the way to the back to find a window seat. What was ruined the whole flight for me was when this Indian guy sat next to me. This guy was on the larger and taller side. Now I know how shitty it is to sit in the middle but this guy disgraced all etiquette and shall be named an arm-rest bandit.
Airplane Sitting Etiquette:
- window and aisle passengers should give the middle seat person access to both arm rests or at least one at a minimum
- respect the leg space. There is a clear division of what is your area. Don’t cross it. Leg rubbing is not cool
- if you own an armrest that is in the middle. Your elbow shouldn’t go significantly over the rest itself. Arm rubbing is also also not cool
So I totally let the guy take the middle armrest on my side but he decides to invade my own space with his elbow and his leg. There were moments where his leg was totally in my space and touching my leg. And then the same battle with his damn elbow. I eventually just tried to lean as much as I could to the window and somehow he still managed to elbow me in the ribs.
Aside from enduring this for 4 hours to Phoenix, I was also skeptical about the Southwest service. I was drawing from my experiences with Ryanair and thought everything on the plane cost money. So when the flight attendant came by to ask for drinks i declined. Then when the snacks came around I saw everyone grab what was in the box. I reluctantly grabbed one bag of Oreos. The FA then asked if I wanted more so I took more. It was only then did I realize all this was free so I asked for water later. Idiot!!
The flight to Salt Lake City from Phoenix was short and easy. Ended just reading a lot of Game of Thrones: A Storm of Swords.
The rest of the day was all muscle memory. I met with Dany who had arrived a few hours prior to me, picked up my bags, the rental car and then bought the remaining lift tickets we needed for Snowbird, picked up the Sundance tickets from the Park City box office, checked into our rental condo, bought groceries and then had dinner at Red Rock Brewery (Kobe burger was pretty good. No frills but good).
Stoked for boarding tomorrow at Snowbasin!
Tips & Tricks
- Buying tickets at Canyon Sports – great place for discounted lift tickets in Salt Lake City. Can’t go wrong here.
- Booking early – I’m so glad we booked the flights, car rental and condo as early as we did. For the flights there was some crazy 40-50% off in Nov. I booked the car rental (SUV) after which was a good move because they sold out really quick and the prices jumped up to considerably. With the rental condo I got a lower price from the owner and he also waived the cleaning fee. He also seemed to have jacked up the price after.
- Southwest online Check in early – I should’ve checked-in exactly 24 hours before the flight to secure a better boarding number. Seems like everyone else is pretty pro at this and got good numbers. I checked in at 11AM for my 9:35AM flight the day before and was already B46. Crazy.
- Wake up at 5AM
- Leave house at 5:30AM
- Park at Long Term Lot B by 7:40AM
- Flight – WN148 – BUF -> PHX (9:35AM- 12:45PM)
- Flight – WN3856 – PHX -> SLC (1:55PM – 3:30PM)
- Pick up lift tickets at Canyon Sports
- Pick up Sundance tickets at box office in Park City
- Check into our condo
- Pick up groceries
- Dinner at Red Rock Brewery
Check out the next day
It was good to be back on the slopes of Snowbasin again. Sundance movie Fruitvale was also a hit. Check it out here: Day 2 – Park City – Snowbasin and Fruitvale