I never thought I'd ever want a sit-stand desk but with so much more time working from home and wanting the ultimate set up in productivity, versatility, and sparking joy, I recently made the switch and I'm not looking back.
This is a ergonofis Shift 2.0 review. Find out what my experience has been with the table so far and why you need to consider this Canadian-company standing desk.
Read more gear reviews
- Travel tripod you need to have – Peak Design Travel Tripod
- Portable hammock stand – Kammok Swiftlet Review
- Best travel sandals on the market – Keen Newport H2
- ExOfficio underwear – the only one you'll ever need
Want to save money on ergonofis?
- Use code awesome5 to save 5% on all ergonofis sit-stand desks and accessories.
Here's what we're covering:
Why a standing desk?
Well, with the work-from-home life amped up to the max, instead of being on the road travelling, I've had a lot more time to check out, research, and obsess over my office set up.
In fact, that's what initially started the Level Up Your Home Office series on YouTube and in line with that, I've been continuously on the lookout for ways to make working from home better.
So what's all this hype around standing desks all of a sudden? I first started seeing it in tech companies, others started adopting it, and now it's made its way home.
There are lots of claims about standing desks:
- Ability to improve mode and energy
- Increase productivity and focus
- Weight loss
- Alleviating back and neck pain
If you read some of the research, its unclear if standing desks alone can do this but what really drew me to sit-stand desks were their versatility. I can stand when I want to and can sit when I want to. It opens up a whole other dimension to working.
Even if a fraction of those claims about standing desks are true, I'll take that over not being able to do anything about it.
ergonofis is $150 off!
They haven't run a sale since 2019 but they're doing $150 CAD off on all desks from June 18 to June 30, 2021.
ergonofis Shift 2.0 review
I'll be the first to admit, there aren't exactly that many reviews of the ergonofis Shift 2.0 standing desk.
The below are my personal experiences from setting up and using the desk as a content creator. I've included important details, anecdotes, and things to consider y when making your purchase.
Who is ergonofis
Inspired by helping people live healthier lives, co-founders Sam and Kimberley started ergonofis. Their mission is to build exceptional office products and bring great work experiences to more people.
Headquartered in Montreal, Quebec, in Canada, what makes them unique is that many of their products are Canadian made, using local materials.
Save at Ergonofis
Save 5% on all desks and accessories at ergonofis by using code AWESOME5.
Shift 2.0 Specs
Okay let's get into the details. What's the ergonofis Shift all about?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Shift Table Top:
- 7/8″ thick
- A custom soft touch matte laminate
- Heat resistant
- Scratch resistant
- Antimicrobial protection
- Made in Canada
- 5 colours (Ice White, Pale Grey, Sahara, Graphite Grey, Deep Black)
- 3 sizes (24″x48″, 30″x60″ and 30″ x 72″)
- Dual motors
- 300-lb lifting capacity
- Height range: 24.5″ to 50.2″
- 4 memory keys
- Customizable height limits
- One-touch controller adjustments
- Anti-collision system
- Child lock
- Travel speed: 1.5″/sec
- Power consumption: 0.5W
- Adjustable levelling studs under the feet
- 2 colours (Black and White)
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- 10-year warranty on the steel frame
- 5 year warranty for motors and electrical components
- Shift table top has a 3-year warranty
ergonofis uses Shopify for their e-commerce platform so the ordering workflow should look familiar.
When ordering your Shift 2.0, one thing you'll need to decide is how many grommets you need and where you want them. One grommet is $24 CAD and two grommets is $34 CAD.
I opted to not have a grommet because I wanted a clean look. What I did add, however was a power bar outlet.
Using the code AWESOME5, this is what the the final order screen looks like.
Due to massive demand and logistics issues during COVID-19, things took a bit longer to get to me but their customer service was on point. At one point, even co-founder Kimberley reached out to explain the situation and that put my mind at ease.
The delivery process will vary from person to person but if you're in Canada, the good news is that shipping is free.
Since I live near Toronto, I was contacted by a third-party delivery company. They called me ahead of time to schedule a delivery date and time and they came right on schedule.
In terms of the delivery, they won't bring it up all the way to your room but they will bring it up to the main floor of the house.
For those in the US, shipping is an added cost. ergonofis will use use a local white glove delivery partner in your area where they'll similarly schedule the last mile delivery. If you live far from a big city, FedEx is most likely used.
The ergonofis Shift 2.0 comes in two different boxes, one for the frame and the other for the table top. They'll be labelled with your name on them.
If you purchased any additional accessories, those'll come in their own individual boxes.
Everything is extremely well packed and protected so you shouldn't need to worry about damage during shipping.
Assembling the ergonofis Shift Desk 2.0 is pretty simple to do and can take 20 to 30 minutes to do.
Due to the weight and size of the frame, it is recommended that you have two people for the assembly. Two people are required to lift the frame box into the right room and two people are also needed to maneuver the frame and eventually the whole thing together.
TIP: If you're assembling the standing desk on hardwood, I'd recommend re-purposing the cardboard from the boxes or bringing in carpet to allow you to
The good news is that the instruction manual that's included is pretty easy to follow. Also, the Shift table top has pre-drilled holes so once you line everything up, all you have to do screw in the fasteners.
Your own tools needed:
- Box cutter to open up the cardboard boxes.
- Phillips screwdriver (the one that is a plus + sign)
- Power drill with Phillips head (makes the installation quicker)
Once you've flipped the table around with legs down, don't forget to use the levelling studs underneath the feet to make sure the table top is level if you have uneven flooring. Also use felt pads to make it easier to move the table on hardwood.
TIP: Make sure to keep the boxes for the table in case you aren't happy with them within the first 3 days.
Power Bar Outlet
Remember that additional ergonofis power bar outlet that we picked up?
It took some thinking to figure out where to install this but ultimately what made the most sense for my home office was to install it on the back left corner of the desk.
Hidden from sight, the idea is that this gives me quick access to surge-protected outlets and USB outlets to charge things on the fly without relying on whether my monitor was on or not (it has USB-outlets on the side).
Installed like this, this means I don't need to fuss with the power bar underneath the table for temporary charging and that bright blue light doesn't disturb me.
If there's one thing that'll really annoy you off the bat, it's the cable management.
With a traditional table, you can often hide all the cables behind the back but with a sit-stand table you realize that everything is exposed and even more so when it's in standing mode.
This is why cable management is important. ergonofis will include in your kit 5 stick-on cable clips but they didn't stick well. They're the generic Amazon variety that don't use 3M tape so don't have high hopes. I had to buy a bunch of other things to clean up the cable mess.
Good news coming!
ergonofis is working on including a better cable management kit so expect that to come out soon.
Here's a list of everything that you'll need:
- Belkin 12-outlet surge protector – This power bar has been around for a long time so you might have this already. This perfectly fits in between the metal tracks of the stand and can be held in place with double-sided tape or jute wires.
- Monoprice cable tray organizer – Simple minimal metal tray that will help you organize all of those loose cables. This is the key to clean the clutter of cables moving in, out, and through the table.
- Velcro cable ties – Keeps groups of cables together.
- Twist ties – These black twist ties are perfect for tying cables to the metal frame.
- Jute wires – These are similar to twist ties but if you have these lying around from arts & crafts, you could use them as well.
- Cable clip organizers – This 16-pack is handy to have to organize the cables that need to run in and out of the table. Note that the acrylic adhesive is great for the table top but not so good for the metal legs where you'll ned to also invest in 3M VHB mounting tape.
One of the keys to making this as easy as possible is to minimize the amount of wires and cables running from outside of the desk. Also, if possible, you should try to run any external cables from one side only.
I'll be honest, this will take some time and patience to get right depending on how many devices you have.
TIP: Leverage the metal stand below the table top as places you can hide cables. There's a small gap between the metal and table top as well which is perfect to feed twist ties or jute wires through.
Overall desk performance
Once I got everything all set up and cleaned up, I've been extremely happy with the ergonofis Shift 2.0 standing desk.
At the end of the day it just works. I usually start off my mornings sitting down and in the afternoon I shift to standing mode. It's this kind of versatility that has really opened my eyes from a productivity stand point.
Have I lost weight? No, but I've had less of that chair fatigue that you feel at the end of the day when you've been sitting too long.
I will say though that standing is taxing on the feet, knees, and back. That's why I ended up picking up an anti-fatigue comfort mat. It's made a huge difference. When I'm not using it, I simply push it to the wall.
Feature-wise, everything that the table's supposed to do it does.
The memory positions work with a single tap. I've played around with the min and max settings too and they work well. Overall, the control pad is really slick – lights up with a tap and is sensitive to touch. It doesn't provide tactile feedback but that means no clunky buttons and a super clean look.
The table moves quietly and at speed. I'm not sure if I'd want it to move any faster though so 1.5″/s is perfect. The speed gives me enough time to move my chair and set up my standing mat.
Lastly, I also tested collision protection and when I had the table a bit too close to the shelves, it rebounded back without any issues. The table looks for evenly distributed force against the table top and when it detects something, it'll reverse by a few inches.
Aesthetically, it looks awesome and really compliments my space.
It has a clean and contemporary look to it which matches the straight lines and edges that my home office has.
The Shift table top in Deep Black has impressed me the most out of everything. It's a dark black but in certain light it also comes off more of an extremely dark grey.
As promised, it doesn't scratch easily, water marks are easy to wipe off, and I've gotten rid of my coasters because I don't need them anymore.
If you do manage to scratch it, I found out that its really easy to fix with a Magic Eraser which I found quite remarkable!
Another added bonus is the cool touch the counter top has. I often have an issue of my arms sweating when they sit on the desk. The special laminate they use has this combination of a matte and soft-touch that prevents that stickiness that leads to sweating.
One trade off of the Deep Black is that it does show dust quite easily.
What I really liked
This is more of my personal opinion but there are a bunch of things that I've really been enjoying – some expected and some unexpected.
- Looks and feels incredible – I didn’t think I’d feel this way about laminate but the cool/soft touch is amazing and it’s just so easy to clean.
- Size is just right – I now have the perfect amount of space for my 34” Dell widescreen monitor and two speakers.
- Talk about flexibility – I can now switch between sitting and standing anytime during the day to help with productivity.
- You can dance – Standing liberates you to really jam to your favourite tunes.
What could be improved
I don't have any major gripes with the ergonofis Shift 2.0 desk but if I were to nitpick on a few things, here are a couple of things you should be aware of.
- The cable management system advertised on the product page is a bit overstated. Like I said, it's really just 5 adhesive cable clips so don't expect any fancy accessories. That said, the frame inherently is great to strap cables to so you should be able to clean it up nicely.
- If you start shaking the desk, there is wobble. I don't have any other standing desks to compare to but when I shake it, I do see the things attached to my monitor arms move. It honestly isn't bad though.
- From an accuracy perspective, there is +/- 0.1″ deviation as I noticed that when you tap the up or down button that it'll jerk in the corresponding direction without the number changing. From my measurements, I also noticed some differences in the number displayed from true measurement from the ground. I suspect this is the case for all standing desks.
Save at ergonofis
Save 5% on all desks and accessories at ergonofis by using code AWESOME5.
Why ergonofis vs. the competitors?
I know what you're thinking. Why should you buy an ergonofis sit-stand desk compared to the plethora of companies out there that sell similar products?
- Unique table tops – These are unique to the industry whether it's the laminate version I have with The Shift, or the wooden ones with The Sway or The Alive.
- Made in Canada – The table tops are designed and manufactured in Quebec. This means they have way more control of quality.
- Standing desk frame – The frame including the metal and electronic components, I am told, are on par with what's offered by the higher end desk companies, if not better.
- Warranty – This part stands out. They're the only company that offers 10 year warranty on the frame. The 3 years on the Shift table top is also more than most which offer only 1 year.
- Table top dimensions – If you have a specific requirement for your dimensions, I found that the 24″x48″ dimensions is unique to ergonofis.
- Dynamic range – If you look at the specifications of all standing desks, you'll find that the 24.5″ to 50.2″ range to be one of the widest on the market.
- Customer service – Often forgotten but their dedicated team will make sure you're happy with your purchase. If you have an issue with your desk, they'll take care of it.
- Shipping in Canada – This is one of the few times that I can say that Canadians can reap the benefits of free shipping and not have to worry about customs or duty.
No, extra border taxes or fees will never be on the customer. If it does happen, ergonofis will pay them.
No, currently they only ship to Canada and the United States.
Yes, there is a showroom at their head office at 51 Rue de Louvain O, Montréal, QC, H2N 1A4. Currently, this is by appointment only.
No, you can only purchase these products directly from ergonofis.
If within the 30 days from the ship date, you aren't satisfied, you can return it to get 100% of your money back. This only applies to the sit-stand desks and shipping is only covered within Canada. If you're from the US, you will be subject to a return fee.
Simply wipe using a damp cloth without cleaning products. You'll find that the tables are quite low-maintenance.
For a fee, installation through a third party partner is available but in Canada only.
Yes, only 16 screws are required to assemble the desk so to disassemble, all you'd have to do is do the reverse.
I'm a bit of a pacer and I like moving around and that's why I always loved working from coffee shops. Working exclusively from home now, this gives me that change that I need to stay focused.
Overall, I'm very impressed with the ergonofis Shift 2.0 standing desk. The table top is something I didn't think I'd really love but the soft and cool-touch material is so good.
From a raising to dropping, it has all the features you're looking for in a sit-stand desk. The memory, collision detection, and height limit functions simply work. It moves with speed and in perspective I think the inherent wobble is acceptable.
If there's one room for improvement, I'd say it's the wire management toolkit which is included. The 5 basic clips included aren't the best so you'll definitely want to invest in your own solution (Monoprice cable tray) or pick up the cable management spine by ergonofis.
What you should read next