If you’re here, you’re looking for a discount on an upcoming Hertz car rental. Let’s not waste any time here. We’re going to break down all of the best Hertz discount codes from the public promotions to the corporate CDP codes.
If you love deals you should read these
- Best car rental coupon codes in the market
- Avis AWD codes
- Budget BCD codes you need to save money
- The best National rental car discount codes
- All Enterprise promo codes
Where do I get the best deals on hotels?
Table of Contents
Here's what we're covering:
- What is a Hertz CDP code?
- What you need to know about Hertz before you book
- Compilation of Hertz Discount Codes
- How to apply Hertz CDP codes
- Other tips on saving money with Hertz
- Are there any codes for underage drivers (under 25)
- Disclaimer on using corporate codes
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Hertz CDP code?
CDP is an acronym for Counter Discount Program (they also sometimes refer to it as a corporate discount code). These are specially negotiated contracts with companies and organizations with normally better discounts and terms than those available to the public.
Not only do you get a lower rate but you’ll also get bonuses such as additional driver, inclusion of insurance coverage, and unlimited mileage.
A CDP number or code is comprised of numbers only and is 1 to 10 digits long.
What about PC, RQ and CV?
Unique to Hertz is its breakdown of additional codes that can be entered in conjunction with the CDP code.
- PC (Promotion Code) – Typically issued by Hertz for public use for a specific campaign.
- RQ (Rate Code) – I rarely see these but I believe used by agents.
- CV (Convention Number) – Special code issued for a conference.
- IT (Voucher Number) – Special vouchers issued by Hertz
Ultimately, what’ll give you the biggest discount with Hertz is the use of CDP codes.
Make sure you read the disclaimer on using corporate codes before you go to understand the risk that you’re taking.
If you’d rather not use coupon codes, make sure to try Discover Cars or RentalCars.com. These are search engines similar to Kayak and Skyscanner but for car rentals. They look at all car rental companies and provide the best rates so you don’t have to look at each one, one at a time.
What you need to know about Hertz before you book
Here are a few tidbits about Hertz that are worth noting.
Similar to Avis, National and Enterprise to varying degrees, Hertz uses the business model where without the use of promotions, the prices are quite inflated. This is different from the discount chains such as Budget and Fox Rent-A-Car.
Hertz has a special “Manager’s Special” option when booking. This is a way for them to help manage inventory. This is great for those that don’t really care about what type of car they get. When you arrive, they’ll just assign you whatever car makes sense for them.
Lastly, I always recommend that you “Pay Later” vs. “Pay Now”. This gives you maximum flexibility and allows you to cancel at the very last minute.
One of the distinct advantages of Hertz is that it has massive global reach. You can find a Hertz location practically everywhere you go which is why it’s so popular.
GOOD TO KNOW
As of May 22, 2020, Hertz has filed for bankruptcy. Hertz announced on June 11, 2020 that it is seeking to raise up to $1 billion in new equity. Hertz and its subsidiaries will continue to operate however there’s uncertainty around what will happen.
The latest news is that Hertz has buyers and is planning to emerge from bankruptcy as of March 2021.
Right now, I would not shy away from booking from Hertz as it’s more-or-less business as usual.
Such widespread coverage around the world is a huge advantage especially when you’re planning big international trips such as the ones I’ve done to create the 7 Day Southern Ireland Itinerary, a DIY safari in Kruger National Park, or an epic trip around New Zealand.
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Finally, it’s good to know about Hertz’s loyalty program called Hertz Gold Plus Rewards.
Joining has the following benefits:
- Skip the line with faster checkout
- Ultimate choice – This allows you to pick your car and go, similar to how Emerald Aisle works
- Earn points (At the base level, you earn $1 = 1 Point)
- Redeem points for free rental days or more (starts at 750 Points for 1 free rental day)
- Earn premium status the more you rent (Gold -> Five Star -> President’s Circle)
- Transfer points to other travel programs
While the main benefits are geared towards business travellers, this is still worthwhile to join since it’s free to be a member.
The main added benefit is being able to skip the counter. If you plan on using a corporate CDP code, this’ll be key to talk to less people along the way.
However, if you just signed up and are renting for the first time, you do need to go to the counter to have your information verified. Try doing this at a local branch instead of an airport location because they won’t question your use of CDPs.
Who owns Dollar?
Get access to all car rental coupon codes
Simply subscribe to be an Insider and click the Download button. You’ll receive a link to the Google Sheet which will allow you to make a copy and sort through the data yourself. Make sure you request access via Google. You’ll also be enrolled in the weekly flight deal newsletter!
Compilation of Hertz Discount Codes
Alright, let’s get down to business. These are a full breakdown of all active Hertz discount codes available right now. It is broken down between the official promotions and the corporate CDP codes.
With these you’ll be well along your way to finding cheap car rentals.
How to use the below tables
To use the codes, simply click on the orange button on the right side of the table. This copies the Hertz code to your computer/smartphone so you can paste it in the rental car search form.
Official Hertz discount codes
Sometimes going the safe route is better. For those that are worried about using the corporate codes, these are the current deals offered by Hertz. They change roughly every quarter or half year.
Hertz CDP codes
You’ll find the best savings by using corporate codes.
The savings calculated are based on a hypothetical booking scenario that I used across all codes for consistency. That said, every booking scenario is different so use the Offer column as a guideline and test a few when making your booking.
These offer pretty significant codes but the caveat is the disclaimer which I explain below.
View all Corporate CDP Codes (click to expand)
How to apply Hertz CDP codes
Entering the Hertz CDP code is pretty easy.
When you arrive at the home page, enter your destination and this will open up the entire booking options. Click on the ‘Discount Code‘ box and a lightbox will appear.
Here, you’ll be able to enter Corporate Discount Code (I know, confusing that it’s not called CDP on the website). Choose Business or Leisure. Click ‘Apply’ to put the CDP code in.
Carry on with the rest of the booking as it’s now entered in.
Other tips on saving money with Hertz
Here are a couple of basic tips on car rental savings with Hertz.
- Sign up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards – The main benefit is being able to Skip the Counter.
- Don’t rent from the airport – Those airport fees add up. They sneakily call it something ambiguous which is why you’ll see Airport Concession Recovery, Customer Facility Charge. Hertz sometimes says it’s included but they’ve already included it in the rate at this point.
- Be careful of the extra hour – Let’s say you make a booking where pick up is 3PM and drop off is 3PM the next day. You’ll notice that it’ll charge you 1 day plus 1 extra hour. This completely bogus. Simply change your booking to drop off at 2PM to fix this.
- Week rentals sometimes cheaper than 5 or 6 days – Discounts often kick in when you hit a full week so if you’re close to that, try getting a quote for 7 days.
- Use credit card for car rental insurance – Instead of purchasing LDW, leverage your credit card for insurance. Make sure you read your policy beforehand to know what and how you’re covered.
- Refuelling service is never a good idea – Unless you think you’re going to be in a crazy time crunch, always fill up the tank before you return the car. Even if they offer you a temping fuel plan, it’ll always be more expensive than you filling it up by yourself.
Are there any codes for underage drivers (under 25)
Similar to Avis, Hertz is terrible with codes that help underage drivers (under 25). In fact, there are literally no codes that help.
If you’re under 25, you might be better off looking at the Enterprise promo codes where they have many more options.
Disclaimer on using corporate codes
As I talk about in the complete guide to car rental coupon codes, one thing you need to be aware of is that codes from the corporate section belong to corporations generated for their employees or are for members of big box stores.
Using these codes without being an employee or member is outside of their rate terms. If you do get into an accident, your own insurance may be void coverage if your misuse gets surfaced. It’s also possible that car rental companies may change your rate during your rental if they find out. It is also unclear whether if you purchase additional coverage (LDW, LIS, PAI, PEC etc.), whether that will be nulled if they find out.
You have to be okay with these uncertain risks if you decide to use one of the corporate codes. If you don’t feel comfortable, you should just stick with the official Hertz discount codes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hertz doesn’t normally check for ID so you should be safe here. Many have used the IBM code without issue. Improve your chances by signing up for Gold Plus Rewards and use the skip the counter feature.
One-way rentals are allowed with Hertz. Prices increase when booking one-way and they come in the form of either 1) a rate increase, 2) the elimination of any included miles, or 3) through a fixed one-way fee
Overall, the tried and true best CDP code is 1859849 when doing price comparison within Hertz.
Yes, Hertz does have affiliations with AAA and CAA. The way Hertz does it is that they have unique CDP codes per region. However, you can use my go-to numbers which are CDP 240 for AAA and CDP 282 with CAA.
Yes, there’s a CDP code 2007815 for up to 20% off for AARP members but it is likely that you will be asked for your ID.
No, this will not changes the rates you get.
As of late 2020, Hertz seems to have nerfed the 40000 code. This means that it no longer works in providing a discount. You can use the code but it will just say “Non Affiliated Discount” and not provide any true savings.
No, Hertz does not offer discounts for Costco members.
Featured image via Flickr by AutoRentals.com