Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
When you think of where celebrity vacation, you think massive villas large enough to house a posse of friends in some exotic tropical location that would the perfect backdrop to a movie or magazine shoot. You’d probably think that these are pretty ridiculously expensive and but as I dug deeper, things like St. Martin, Tuscany, or Phuket villa rentals looked way more reasonable than I had originally thought. Keep reading if you want to find out how.
The Attainable Baller Lifestyle
You need to be making a 7-figure income to stay in a crazy retreat like this one right? Wrong! It’s actually a lot more affordable than you think. The key is in the power of people.
Let’s do a little bit of math.
If you take a look at a site like Luxury Retreats, you’ll see that $786 USD per night for a property. If it fits 20 people.
Wait so if you do the math…that’s $786/20 = $39.30
Travel hacking at its finest.
Yes you just read that right, you can stay in a Richard Branson approved villa for merely $40 per person per night. That’s cheaper than the nightly rate at off the highway Motel 6. No kidding! Even if you factor in double occupancy, it’s still blows my mind how affordable this is.
Even if the nightly rate jumps up to $2000 USD and you could only get 15 people together, that’s $133.33 per person per night. Does it still sound crazy?
Naturally, you’re thinking, okay that’s great Will but when would I ever be able to pull something like this off?
Okay I admit that it’s not exactly easy to rally 19 friends or family together to go on a trip together but just imagine if you were able to do it how amazing it would be.
Here’s are the scenarios where I think you should consider renting a luxury villa.
- Destination wedding – On top of being able to have 20-30 of your favourite people in one house, you’d also be able to set up your wedding on the property with the backdrop of a beautiful beach, infinity pool, mansion, or even castle.
- Bachelor/bachelorette party – I can see this just being purely epic.
- Family reunion – Instead of buying matching t-shirts, why not plan a get-together that’ll blow Disney out of the water.
- Special events – This kind of covers everything from running a retreat, conference, corporate event, or social gathering. You could almost make a business out of it if you wanted to.
- For the heck of it – Does one need a reason to have a wicked holiday?
The Added Plusses
Beyond a stunning villa that’s straight out of a luxury magazine, there’s more if you can believe it. It’s so much more than just a house rental.
First class properties come with first class amenities to truly make your vacation even more special. These are a few examples of things that could be bundled in.
- Chef – Imagine having a local chef preparing five-star quality meals for everyone
- Housekeeper – Like a hotel, you’ll cleaning services at your disposal everyday
- Laundry service – You know I like to pack light but even if you don’t, you’ll always be able
- Security – Fancy houses draw attention so this is a nice safety blanket
- Bonus services – I’ve seen some come with spa treatments, massages, and yoga lessons
When you factor these into the cost of the villa, it brings the per person costs down even more.
Beyond these additions, I think the biggest thing about having your own villa is privacy. When you stay at a large resort, you’ll inevitably see other people and you know you’ll have to fight for beach chairs. With your own house, you’ll be in full control of everything. Now the only problem is if you don’t like the friends or family you’re staying with. Now that I can’t really help you with so choose wisely!
Dreaming About Phuket
After my trip around Asia, I’ve been yearning to go back to Thailand and I’ve been doing a bit of wanderlusting and there are some amazing properties in Phuket that really give you a flavour of what’s out there.
Villas on Stilts
This is a stunning property that doesn’t even look real. Compare this with a 5-star resort like a Conrad, St. Regis, W, or Grand Hyatt, and I can say that this is a way more attractive option.
Talk about a seriously zen villa with gorgeous views of the sunset. With a large group of friends, this is a great place to socialize or party.
The ultimate in baller is being able to rent an entire island for yourself. Okay, I’d be lying if this was going to be cheap but if you can find 38 people to come here, you’d be paying $921 per person per night. That’s close to a really expensive stay in Fiji or the Maldives right?
Where To Find These Secret Villas
I recently found out about Luxury Retreats and they have a serious collection of luxury retreats all around the world. Take a peek and you’ll find yourself browsing through one property after another.