National is one of our favorite car rental companies. Part of it is because of Emerald Aisle, and the other is, National rental car discount codes often provide some of the deepest discounts on the market for car rentals. Also known as National Car Rental, this consolidates the current best promo codes on the market.
Good luck and I’m sure you’ll find significant savings on your upcoming trip.
Read more ways to get travel deals
- Full compilation of car rental coupon codes in the market
- Avis Coupon Codes and AWD codes
- All the Budget BCD codes you need to save money
- Best Canadian credit cards for travel hacking
- Avis rental car coupons
Where do I get deals on hotels?
Here's what we're covering:
- What is a National Car Rental Account Number?
- Observation about National Car Rental prices and locations
- National rental car discount codes
- So which discount code will save you the most money?
- How to apply National account numbers and coupon codes
- Other tips on saving money with National car rental
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a National Car Rental Account Number?
When you’re looking for National Car Rental coupon codes, you’re really looking for one of two things. One is an account number and the other are coupon codes.
In naming, it’s intuitive to think that it’s the coupon codes you want to look for but in National’s case, what’s going to give you the biggest discount is the account number.
Account numbers are essentially corporate account IDs that are assigned to companies and meant for employees or members of a particular association or program.
Coupon codes on the other hand are more general codes that typically offer smaller bonus-type savings such as a free upgrade, $20 off, $50 off, etc.
The best part about these codes is that you can use them anywhere around the world. For instance, these codes would be great to use for an 8 day Iceland itinerary, or perhaps a photography trip to Utah and Arizona?
If you’d rather not use coupon codes, make sure to try Discover Cars or RentalCars.com. These are search engines similar to Kayak and Skyscanner but for car rentals. They look at all car rental companies and provide the best rates so you don’t have to look at each one, one at a time.
Observation about National Car Rental prices and locations
Something I’ve noticed about National’s pricing strategy is that without codes, their pricing is quite high compared to say Budget which starts off really low even when you don’t use a BCD code.
However, when you plug in an account number, the prices fall dramatically to 1/3 of the original price or more.
One thing that you’ll notice about National locations is that they are primarily only at airports. They do have local offices but they are few and far between. As a result, National is great for car rentals straight from the airport but if you’re looking for a pick up or drop off in the city, you might be hard-pressed to do so.
National’s footprint is very strong in North America but you’d be surprised to hear that they also have many outlets in South America, Europe, and Japan.
Since National is partnered with Enterprise, all locations outside of the airport are serviced by them instead of National.
One thing you’ll also notice with National counters is that they’re normally next to Alalmo and/or Enterprise. In some locations, they actually share the same staff.
National rental car discount codes
The below are a list of all of the National car rental discount codes. Each offers a different level of discount and I’ve also provided extra columns to make it clear which ones are beneficial for underage drivers and one-way rentals.
I’ve combed through massive lists of account numbers and you’ll notice that even on my list, many are similar. There are also some other rental car discount codes that actually give you worse discounts than if you weren’t to use one so I haven’t included those. Extra redundant codes with exact same offers have also been cleaned out.
Making it easy
To use the codes, simply click on the button on the right side of the table. This immediately copies the code on your computer so you can paste it into the appropriate box when searching for your car.
Official National Car Rental Discounts
These are the official set of car rental deals created by National. They change roughly every quarter or half year.
Some of their deals are good if you’re looking for one of the destinations they’re promoting.
So which discount code will save you the most money?
For those wanting the best deal, the truth is that “it depends” because it’ll depend on whether you’re an underage driver, doing a one-way rental, country, and overall length of rental. That said, if you take a look at the tables below, it’s pretty clear how big the discounts can potentially be.
I’ve ranked the above by discount so it’s easy to decide which one of the best for you.
I recommend that you pick a selection of them to try on your own because your trip requirements may affect the actual savings offered by each discount code.
What about parking at the airport?
Something that’s easy to forget in trip planning is how you’re going to get to the airport and if you’re driving your own car, where you’re going to leave it behind.
That’s where booking platforms like Airport Parking Reservations and Park Sleep Fly come into play. Whether you need to get a hotel package that includes parking or just parking itself, they have you covered.
Use the code AWESOME7 to save up to $7 off of your booking.
How to apply National account numbers and coupon codes
On the full list of car rental coupon codes, a common question was how to actually enter in these codes. I will admit that National’s is the most confusing because of their own terminology which I explained near the top.
The key to know is that when you’re thinking about corporate codes or discount codes, you’re really thinking about account number. Small discounts that don’t yield large savings are coupon codes and they’re specifically identified in the tables above.
Once you head to the National car rental home page, the first step is to reveal the entry of account numbers and coupons which is labelled. Click on this first to open up the text fields to enter the account number or coupon.
One of the sweet things you’ll notice about the National reservation system is that it allows the stacking of coupons. So if you end up finding a few, it doesn’t hurt to add them all in to see if you can get the benefit of all of them. There are likely restrictions though so don’t be too disappointed if some of them don’t work.
Other tips on saving money with National car rental
Here are a couple of basic tips on car rental savings with National.
- Register for Emerald Club – This is National’s loyalty program. I personally think it’s one of the best ones in the market. You accrue points that give you rewards such as free rentals or you can have them go into another loyalty program such as a hotel or airline. Right off the bat when you register a new account, you get access to Emerald Aisle which allows you to walk right to the garage and pick whatever car you want in the special Emerald Aisle section even if it’s not the class you book.
- Skip the counter – Again, it’s through Emerald Club where you can go straight to the aisle to pick your car. Many locations have specific Emerald Club sections where you can pick any car you like no matter the class you’ve booked. This allows you to checkout at the exit gate.
- Book mid-sized: As an addition to the above, we always recommend booking the Midsize class because you will often full-size in the Emerald Club aisle of cars which means you automatically get a free upgrade.
- Stacking – Remember to try combinations coupon codes so you can get the benefit of multiple codes instead of just one.
- Last minute reservations – National offers last minute specials so make sure to check that page.
- If possible, rent from in the city – This might be harder to do with National since most of their locations are at airports exclusively. For cities where it’s possible, those airport fees add up. They sneakily call it something ambiguous which is why you’ll see Concession Recoupment Fee (11.11%) , FL Waste Tire/Battery Fee ($0.02/day), Rental Facility Charge ($4.85/day), SC REC/FL Surcharge Recovery ($2/day), VLC REC ($0.80/day). In parenthesis are examples of the fees at MIA airport. In this example you’re looking at $96.79 vs $19.74 in extra fees for a one week rental. That’s massive!
- Weekly rentals sometimes cheaper than 5 or 6 days – Discounts often kick in when you hit a full week so if you’re close to that, try getting a quote for 7 days.
- Use credit card for car rental insurance – Instead of purchasing LDW, leverage your credit card for insurance. Make sure you read your policy beforehand to know what and how you’re covered.
- Their fuel program is never a good idea – Unless you think you’re going to be in a crazy time crunch, always fill up the tank before you return the car. Even if they offer you a temping fuel plan, it’ll always be more expensive than you filling it up by yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
One-way rentals are allowed with National Rental Car. Prices increase when booking one-way and they come in the form of either 1) a rate increase or 2) the elimination of any included miles.
No, National Rental Car does not have any discounts for AAA members.
Yes, National offers CAA accounts if you head to this page.
No, Costco does not offer savings with National Rental Car.
Yes, participating locations have last minute specials. Daily rate specials require a 1-day minimum and have a 4-day maximum. Weekly rate specials require a minimum of 5 days and must include a Saturday.
What you should read next
Travel Resources For Your Next Trip
If you’re in the process of planning your trip and putting together your itinerary, these are genuinely the best resources that the Going Awesome Places team stands by 100%.
Airport Parking: You’ll need a spot to leave your car at the airport so why not book a spot at a discount. Use code AWESOME7 to get at least $5 off at Airport Parking Reservations or Park Sleep Fly packages.
Hotels: Our go-to is Booking.com because they have the best inventory of properties including hotels and B&Bs. The exception is Asia where Agoda always has the best prices. TripAdvisor is also useful for reviews and bookings.
Vacation Rentals: Airbnb is the market leader but you’d be surprised how you can find cheaper deals on the lesser-known VRBO.
Travel Insurance: Learn how to buy the best travel insurance for you. This isn’t something you want to travel without.
- Insured Nomads – Popular insurance provider for frequent travelers and comes with great coverage and special perks.
- RATESDOTCA – Search engine Canadians looking for the cheapest insurance including multi-trip annual policies.
- SafetyWing – A perfect fit for long-term nomads.
- Medjet – Global air medical transportation.
- InsureMyTrip – Best for seniors, families, and those with pre-existing conditions.
If you need more help planning your trip, make sure to check out our Travel Toolbox where we highlight all of the gear, resources, and tools we use when traveling.